“At first an ordeal and then an accomplishment, the daily run becomes a staple, like bread, or wine, a fine marriage, or air. It is also a free pass to friendship.”
~ Benjamin Cheever, Strides

Monday, November 21, 2011

Rainier Training: Week 3

Quick Look:
# of Workouts: 6
# of miles walked/ran: 10
Weight: 206.6  
Chest: 43.0"  (Down 0.5")
Waist: 45"  (Down 1")

I have to say that this was an off week training-wise for me.  I'm actually thrilled that I didn't gain weight...and still saw some change in inches.  I had some lingering foot pain after last Sunday's Buckeye Classic that caused me to cut out Tuesday's 2 mile run.      I still did my strength training and my Mommy Miler's walk that day, but at the end of the walk the foot pain flared and I decided to cut my run.

As a result, on Wednesday I tried my first spinning class ever to limit the flexing of my foot while still getting a workout in.
At the time, I didn't feel like I'd had a great workout for some silly reason.  The bike felt awkward and the seat stabbed me in the butt in a rather bad way every time I tried to do the standing parts.  Nonetheless, the next morning, my legs were all jello-y.   Good thing I didn't have my normal Thursday morning training session because Mark was in Calgary for two days.  Really, Avery and I did well just to survive.  I did get a sitter for my NOBO run that night - and I needed that break!

Saturday I did my NOBO run at High Banks park (where the Buckeye classic 10K was) and then followed that with a long strength-training session with Adam - both felt great!  
Yes, that's me in the green jacket chatting it up.
I also spent some time on Saturday at the Hug a Runner Day event in High Banks - got to see a lot of my Lucky 13 peeps!
I'm trying to make more water magically appear by staring at it.
Sunday I was jello-y again and traded my Monday rest day with Sunday's walking plan.

The highlights of my week, though, were getting my Kelty pack (early Christmas present from my Dad) - which will help with training hikes carrying Avery...
It kind of looks like some sort of torture device, huh?
And...Avery slept through the night last night!!! OMG!!!  She went to bed around 10:30pm...and woke up at 7am this morning.  Of course - I woke up in between because I'm used to that...but still!  And she woke up HAPPY BABY.
Wait - what is that bright light?
And - fun book club last night at my house.  Avery decided it was time to have a meltdown about half an hour before everyone got there....but Mark took her upstairs for most of the event so that I could have fun eating and chatting with my girls.  :D

This week - with Thanksgiving - I need to add in a few extra workouts.  Plus, I'm running a 4 mile race Thanksgiving morning.  Time to be back on track!


  1. I thought of you while doing a 10 mile trail race on Sunday. That's hard stuff!!!!

  2. I think you are doing fantastic, Mandy! Keep up the great work! :)

  3. When I saw your Facebook status this morning I was so confused. I guess she was just tired last night? I am nervous that her screaming started back up when I asked if we were going to have fun on Thursday. I'm still convinced she understands perfectly and was trying to tell me what she thinks of my babysitting skills. Also, I will walk with you any time! We can take one Thursday if you want more exercise and I'll meet you Friday, Saturday, and/or Sunday if you want!

  4. Nice week, Mandy! You are playing it smart, if course, and that is awesome! :)

    I'm sorry I didn't see you this past weekend, but I enjoyed looking at your pictures. Looks like fun!

    Have a great Thanksgiving too, if I don't talk to you before then! :)

    Avery is precious!


Comments pretty much make my day - so thank you for yours!