“At first an ordeal and then an accomplishment, the daily run becomes a staple, like bread, or wine, a fine marriage, or air. It is also a free pass to friendship.”
~ Benjamin Cheever, Strides

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Little Piglet!

Avery had her one month pediatrician appointment on Wednesday, Sept. 14th.   For the past week, we've been lovingly calling her a little piglet.  Why???  From the beginning, she takes about an hour to breastfeed on the breast.  In the last week, she decided she also needed to feed every two hours.  For those who don't know, you count time from when she STARTS eating.  So that meant - I only had an hour off each time.  I couldn't do it.  I just couldn't.  So, I made the gut-wrenching decision that I had to supplement with formula.  People can make you feel awful for doing that - but it's really no big deal.  Honestly.  I have also decided to pump in between feedings for time purposes.  After a couple days, I now pump enough that she can mostly still have breast milk and only about one formula bottle a day.  Awesome.


But, I digress.  At her two week appointment, Avery weighed 5 lbs 8oz.  She was in the 2-5% for height...and for weight.
2 weeks.  Tiny Tyrant.
On Wednesday - she weighed a whopping 7 lbs, 7 oz!  That's almost 2 lbs in 2 weeks!   Even the doctor was impressed!  Avery jumped up a couple of curves to the 10% curve!  She's still short at only 19.5 inches (5%).  But, she's doing awesome.  She even completely emptied her bladder on the exam table prior to the scale!  Ha!  Oh, and someone needs to tell this child that girls are not supposed to be able to arc their pee off the table...just sayin'.
1 month - Yeah, I pack a real punch now Mommy - watch out!
I now also know, that until Wednesday, I had not heard her pain cry.  Yay me! How do I know this?  She got a shot at her appointment and I got to hear the pain cry.  Oh wow.  A completely different noise!  
See her band-aide - Put down the camera and change my diaper woman!
Ok.  The funny part.  After her appointment, I called Mark to share the news.  I kept saying, "The vet said..." and then corrected myself..."I mean the doctor, the pediatrician..."   Um.  Can you tell that I've had pets longer than a kid?  Ha!


Similarly, the other night, Mark was talking about her "sharp claws" and how we needed to "clip her claws."  I was laughing, but finally managed to say, "they call them fingernails on humans dear."  Of course, in referencing myself, I often say "I need to clip my claws."  Ok, so we have issues!  LOL!
You see what I have to put up with?
Have you ever referred to humans by pet terms?  Funniest example?

4 comments:

  1. OMG, I love the pet references!!! I'd be the same way if I had me a human baby :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHA! That is hilarious. She is so adorable. I have referred to myself as going to the Vet before because I had been to the vet (for the dogs) and the doc within the same week. Michael thinks I am crazy, though, because he says I treat the dogs too much like children. I hear that changes when you actually have kids! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL! Sara - it doesn't change THAT much. Cassie is still our baby....she's just not first in priority anymore. ;)

    Hi Lisa!!!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahaha, the vet said the dog, erm I mean baby, has the nicest coat, I mean hair that he's ever seen. Love it!

    ReplyDelete

Comments pretty much make my day - so thank you for yours!