“At first an ordeal and then an accomplishment, the daily run becomes a staple, like bread, or wine, a fine marriage, or air. It is also a free pass to friendship.”
~ Benjamin Cheever, Strides

Monday, September 5, 2011

Emerald City Recap


Race:  Emerald City Quarter & Half Marathon - I did the quarter
Distance:  6.55 miles  (although my Garmin said 6.72)
Date:  Sept. 4, 2011, 7:00am start
Finish time:  2:00:11


It was raining before the race started.  Note to self:  Bring extra socks or buy better socks before my next race.  (I'll explain that later).


This is one of my favorite races of all time.  The 1st annual Emerald City race was my first official race with a medal ever, so I'm biased.  Look here to see that medal.
It was so fun hanging out with my MiT buddies pre-race - even in the rain.  The race had a 7:00am start and they were monitoring the weather to determine if we were going to start on time.  Lots of crazy storms the night before.


Wet and humid weather conditions, but lots of fun.  Much more relaxed atmosphere than Cap City or Columbus.  Only about 2,000 race participants and no bands, music along the way.  We did have cheerleaders though!  This is a very laid back course through the "countryside" in Dublin.  The bit through the park was rather pretty!


I gave birth on August 10th, so my goal was to WALK this race with a bit of jogging here and there.  My friend Sara, had been given Doctor's orders to stay off her toe...but like me, she loves this race.  We stuck it out together!   We ran out the first 0.6 miles...and ran in the last 0.7 miles.  We walked in between, with a slow mile 5 (my fault).  By mile 2, Sara could no longer feel her toe.  We made quite the pair.  We had fabulous conversation though and it made the race so much fun!  I would have been miserable walking by myself - so being able to bond and share with Sara is something I will always treasure.
Me and Sara at the finish posing with our medals!

More of the MiT gang!

Me posing by the finish line - this was before my blister trip to the medical tent.
I've done many races put on by this company - M3S sports.  Every time, they seem to do a fabulous job.  And this time, Gatorade and water and not the nasty Ultima stuff!  Fun, if simplified race!


I did make a stop at the medical tent for band aides and advise from Dr. Bright on my blisters issue.  He offered to let me sleep on the cots for a few hours since I have a newborn!  HAHAHA!

Ok - the socks story.  Because my socks and shoes got SOAKED.  By mile 3, I started feeling blisters on the balls of my feet.  By mile 5, I was limping and positive they were the size of Texas.  How do they look today?
Right foot - blister wouldn't pop last night because it was too deep.

Left foot - was able to pop this one last night.
Maybe that's over-sharing - but dang those things hurt!  I was having trouble walking when I got home after the race.   Must get new socks!


I confess, after seeing a couple cross the finish line carrying their baby - I cried.  It was the longest time I'd been away from Avery since she was born.
She didn't miss me as much - and wasn't impressed by the medal, even if it is the size of her head!
I was more tired than I've ever been after a race...and bled later that day a bit from the exertion...but it was absolutely worth it!!!  Even now, with so many races under my belt, I learn something new each time.


Things I learned:
  1. Moisture wicking socks.  Get them.
  2. Flip flops or other athletic sandals (i.e. not sneakers) for wear post race - bring them.
  3. Wear the hydration belt when nursing during race season.  So dehydrated.
  4. Do NOT go to breakfast at the place offering discounts to runners.  The wait was crazy...and the food not so good.
Great time - can't wait to actually RUN it again next year!

Me and Avery - Mark took this after Emerald City without my knowledge.
Next up: Oktoberfest Meiler Vier (also by M3S Sports - they were advertising at this race).


What do you think of injury photos?  Yay or Nay?  LOL!

2 comments:

  1. Woah, I think I just threw up a little looking at your blisters, but you know I love a good injury photo! I am torn between my love of injury photos and my complete disgust of feet (did you not know I have a complex about feet? I have a complex about feet...even my own). I don't blame you for not wanting to go anywhere today, those look excruciating! I am a tremendous fan of moisture wicking socks and won't wear anything else for exercise. Also, Jennifer swears by Gore-tex shoes, but my feet are too fat for those.

    And you are pretty much my favoritest person ever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I personally "like" seeing injury photos!! HAHA! I don't ever get injuries like that so I don't mind seeing them - I can definitely appreciate now "blisters the size of Texas!" They pretty much are! And for the record, I have seen WAY worse injuries on blogs - some have even come with disclaimers beforehand!

    I am like you I love this race and I can't wait to run the half with you next year!!

    I will always treasure the time we spent together on this race - it was a great time and you did not slow me down! I couldn't feel my toe, Mandy!!!

    ReplyDelete

Comments pretty much make my day - so thank you for yours!