“At first an ordeal and then an accomplishment, the daily run becomes a staple, like bread, or wine, a fine marriage, or air. It is also a free pass to friendship.”
~ Benjamin Cheever, Strides

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Resistance is Futile

So many things amuse me.  Perhaps too many things.

This week, several things related to my workouts really made me smile.  First, my husband and I were flipping through the guide on our TV - and saw that the show "I Shouldn't Be Alive" was about mountain climbing.  We laughed and decided to watch it.  It started with "This is a true story that occurred in Washington State."  I looked at Mark and bet him it was about Rainier.  He didn't take the bet, damn.  

A view from near the summit on Rainier - from my friend Seans trip
For those who haven't seen it, I shouldn't be Alive is a dramatization of events that should have killed people, but against all odds, some survived.  This episode was about Mt. Rainier and two climbers that fell into a crevasse on the decent.  (One made it, and one didn't).  The caveat here is that they didn't take the same route we would and they were independent climbers (not climbing with a guide group like we will be).
Another image from near the Summit of Mt. Rainier from my friend Sean.
The views are worth the risk of death, right?  LOL
Next thing that amused me - We had our group meeting for Relay Around Columbus to go over the event guide and all the little rules that could get our team disqualified.  One entire page of the guide was a list of all the hospitals along the route.  I know, the fact that this amused me makes me odd.  Another funny thing about our group meeting?  I gave my team a safe word.  "Tone down the Type A Mandy".  LOL.
I think I need a safe word Mommy.
And the reason for the post title?  My trainer gave me some workouts for the stair climber.  On the page - he included the Borg Scale of Perceived Exertion.  I must be the only idiot that hadn't heard of it before - and a total nerd that my first thought was "Resistance is futile."  I'm not even really a Trekkie or anything.  For those that have never seen it - here it is in the words of Adam:


Level 1:  I'm watching TV and eating bon bons
Level 2:  I'm comfortable and could maintain this pace all day long
Level 3:  I'm still comfortable, but am breathing a bit harder
Level 4:  I'm sweating a little, but feel good and can carry a conversation effortlessly.
Level 5:  I'm just above comfortable, am sweating more and can still talk easily.
Level 6:  I can still talk, but am slightly breathless
Level 7:  I can still talk, but I don't really want to.   I'm sweating like a pig.
Level 8:  I can grunt in response to your questions and can only keep this pace for a short time period.
Level 9:  I am probably going to die
Level 10: I am dead.


Maybe I just like his descriptions better than then the original ones?



One last thing - I REALLY need to change the name of my blog.  It's fairly cliche and overdone...and doesn't really fit anymore....even if I am still practically big enough to be two people.  Any ideas?  I'll have to come up with some kind of prize package for anyone that submits an idea that I actually use.


What quirky workout related things make you smile?

Would you still climb the mountain after seeing that episode?

2 comments:

  1. Aww, I'm so proud of you for not making anyone cry with your Type A-ness. There's a reason I can never be in charge of anything. So where exactly does "this exercise just put me in to labor" fit on that scale?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah - there is still plenty of time to make people cry from my type A-ness. :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments pretty much make my day - so thank you for yours!