“At first an ordeal and then an accomplishment, the daily run becomes a staple, like bread, or wine, a fine marriage, or air. It is also a free pass to friendship.”
~ Benjamin Cheever, Strides

Monday, December 19, 2011

Rainier Training: ONEderland

Quick Look:
# of Workouts: 5
# of miles ran/walked: 9
Weight: 197.4 (Down 3.4 lbs from previous week)
Chest: 42.0" 
Hips: 50"  (Down 2" from previous week)

Monday: Rest Day
Tuesday: NOBO 3.5 mile run
Wednesday: 1 hour ST with Adam
Thursday: NOBO 2.68 mile run; 0.84 mile walk
Friday: rest day
Saturday: MIT 2.04 mile run
Sunday:  Unplanned rest day
Well, I have achieved one of my Rainier Training goals, Goal #3 - to get in good enough shape to begin hard-core training, i.e. get back below 200 lbs.  I lost 3.4 lbs this week, despite shoddy training, and now I can begin really training.

I also got some new training equipment, a bosu ball (A Christmas present from my dad):
And a swim cap for my swims - I've never worn a swim cap before, this could be entertaining the first time I try to put it on.  LOL!

It's somewhat funny.  Many people would consider 5 workouts in a week to be a good week.  Me?  When I made the image from dailymile for this post, I said - WHAT? I only did 5 workouts this week?  WTH.   I did have an unplanned rest day on Sunday when something I ate in the morning disagreed with me and left me nauseous the rest of the day.

To improve on this past week's training and to finally get started on the hard-core training, this week, I am going to be making an effort to take advantage of paying for the kids room at the gym.  (So that I can get a workout in during the day, despite Miss Avery).  It's been hard to use it lately, because it's not open in the afternoon.  So far, I did go swimming this morning, but it was a short swim, because I neglected to check whether there was a class in the pool before leaving the house.  WINNING!  :)

In January, my weekly schedule will generally be strength training with Adam on Mondays and Wednesdays, as well as stair-climbing sessions in those mornings.  Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays will be run days.   Friday will be a rest day. Sundays will be a swim, hike or stair climb day.  If the weather is ever nice enough for outdoor baby time, I will load Avery up in the Kelty pack, put on my climbing boots and hike over at High Banks Metro Park.  

Is there any exercise equipment that you feel you can't live without?

How did you week go?  What are your plans for this coming week?

9 comments:

  1. You did awesome losing weight considering all the holiday goodies that abounded at Amy's for the brunch! WTG!!!

    My week of workouts went great. I was only called crazy once. Ha. I don't plan very well - I just go with what feels right. Maybe I should start planning better. We'll need two a days for RAC soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on Onderland! I remember how thrilled I was when I got there too!

    Nice week of training!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Catching up with your blog, Mandy...I promise traveling with a 4-month-old isn't so bad. Just make sure she has something to suck on going up and coming down. And congrats on reaching your goals! My foam roller is my must-have little friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! I'm only a year or so away from joining you (ugh). I still think you are doing seriously awesome on the workouts, especially considering you have a baby! You know what else is a workout? Going to the zoo. It's walking. =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, you lost a ton of weight!

    I only ever workout 5 days a week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are doing an awesome job these days! I think you have a great plan ahead and I love hearing it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome job, Mandy! So proud of your progress!! :) Just a tip on the swim cap...get it wet first and then put it on. Also, I always do a low ponytail and that seems to help with the longer hair.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ONEderland! You are amazing, my friend! Oh! I have a huge smile on my face - Congrats!

    I love reading about your training. You continue to be an inspiration to me because you are real and you achieve great things. I am so glad to call you my friend. :)

    Can't wait to see you again and run! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The exercise ball workouts with weights is to become a more popular piece of equipment in both professional and home gyms. It is extremely versatile and can be used by novices and experienced fitness enthusiasts.

    ReplyDelete

Comments pretty much make my day - so thank you for yours!