“At first an ordeal and then an accomplishment, the daily run becomes a staple, like bread, or wine, a fine marriage, or air. It is also a free pass to friendship.”
~ Benjamin Cheever, Strides

Monday, November 19, 2012

I want to spin in circles, plus training update


Week of Nov. 12-Nov 18, 2012:
Current Weight: 156.8 (Up 0.8 lbs from previous reported week)
Total Lost to date: 64.0 lbs
Waist: 32"
Hips: 42"
Monday: Rest day
Tuesday: Ran 4 miles, 10:48 min/mile avg. pace; ST and Step class
Wednesday: Ran 4.31 miles, 10:16 min/mile avg. pace (last 2.2 miles avg 9:30 min/mile)
Thursday: New Trainer evaluation, no other significant exercise
Friday: Rest day
Saturday: Ran 8 miles, 11:13 min/mile avg
Sunday: Ran 16 miles, 11:11 min/mile avg
Every time I looked at my dailymile image this week, I felt totally lame for my skipped 7 mile run.  I was tempted to add my trainer evaluation from Thursday to DM for the sole purpose of eliminating that big blank spot for Thursday/Friday.  I have issues.

I made a long run rookie (but delicious) error by eating pepperoni, sausage and banana pepper pizza Friday night.  I paid for that during Saturday's run, which felt harder than it should have.  I generally can get away with pizza the day before any run that is 6 miles or less.  Both times I've done it the day before an 8 mile run, that run has felt way more difficult than it should have.  Some day, I will learn this lesson, maybe.  I was pretty beat the rest of the day, which made me nervous about Sunday's run.   So, I did all the eating and hydrating stuff right on Saturday.  Water, pasta, etc.

Sunday's run felt a million times better, despite being twice the distance, and I spent the rest of the day energized and happy.  Again.  I may have issues.

And, apparently, this "I have issues" thing is one thing that my kid may have gotten from me.  Either that, or my husband drugged her while I was out running 16 miles.  You be the judge...

Other good things accomplished this weekend?  I was able to exchange the shoes I bought at the Columbus Marathon expo.   At the expo, I was talked into buying the PureFlow because my preferred shoe, the Brooks Launch, is being discontinued at the end of the year.  Brooks is replacing it with the PureFlow.  The shoe was a beautiful shade of purple, but once I got it home, I never wore it on a single run.  The day I'd intended to try it out on a run, I took it off after wearing it around the house while getting ready to leave.  That's how much I didn't like it.  It hit my heal in a funny place and I just knew blisters would result if I wore it for a run.  Utter Fail on the replacement shoe Brooks.  Luckily, I was able to exchange the PureFlow for another pair of the Launch.

I'm not sure what I will do on the whole shoe situation going forward, because I have run all my races (except the pregnant ones) in the Brooks Launch.  I'm a firm believer in "if it's not broke, don't fix it," but unfortunately, Brooks is in charge on this decision. I don't think I can talk them into continuing to make the shoe just for me.

For those who were wondering, I did apply for the lottery for the Nike Women's Half Marathon in DC this April.  I should know whether I got in the week of December 10th.   If I do get in, please remind me, repeatedly, that it is a training run and that I am not allowed to race it.
Don't worry, I'll remind you. Repeatedly.
How did your training week go?  Anyone race this past weekend?

Are there any "rookie" errors you repeatedly make during training??

Have you ever tried to get into a race that had a lottery for getting in?

Don't you wish spinning in circles was still as fun as it were when you were a kid?






5 comments:

  1. Great week, Mandy! I often make the "rookie" error or not re-fueling after a run properly. I pay for it the rest of the day which isn't fun for anyone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My rookie errors always involve eating the wrong kinds of food before long runs, too. I don't plan to make any such errors before my race!

    My one lottery experience was NYC 2005--and I got lucky and got in. I'm glad, too, because I think it's much harder now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man, I hate it when a shoe is discontinued! That has happened to me twice and I haven't been able to find the right shoe since:( So sad!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My rookie error always involves beer. I do it time and time again. It doesn't matter if it is one or ten the night before a long run, beer just makes me... Well I better not say that here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I eat pizza before every long run. Not sure why it works for me but I'll take it! I hope you find some shoes you like! That sucks your faves are discontinued. I'm still holding in the NYCM lottery. I think Sandy probably dashed any chance of getting in next year. A is so stinkin' cute!

    ReplyDelete

Comments pretty much make my day - so thank you for yours!