“At first an ordeal and then an accomplishment, the daily run becomes a staple, like bread, or wine, a fine marriage, or air. It is also a free pass to friendship.”
~ Benjamin Cheever, Strides

Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Training Update: Cadbury is delicious

Week of June 10-June 16, 2013:
Current Weight: 152.4 (Down 1.2 lbs since last week)
Total Lost to date (since September 2011): 68.4 lbs

Major changes from last weeks workouts:  Back on schedule this week with no fitness testing and no vomit episodes to interrupt.  I added 5 lbs to my Sunday pack, I need to repack it to cushion the weights better for this week.  I added a short stair session with an Avery pack on Thursday for 10 minutes at the Alum Creek Dam stairs.  When added to my other Thursday workouts, this felt tougher than expected.
Stair session?  Pfft.  I added REAL climbing.
Fun stuff from last week:  Does it count as fun that my Wednesday intervals at the Dam were a lot better this time around???  (I actually ran all 10x!)  I set up the bike trailer so that I can take Avery on bike rides for fun.  Tried it out on Wednesday and she liked it enough that she didn't even really want to play at the park we stopped at.  My trainer has moved to his own facility and we're still figuring out how that will work with Avery for my strength training sessions.  She has decided that means she gets to workout too.  On Tuesday, she copied my Bosu push-ups.  On Thursday, she copied this...
You want me to do what now???
Here is what the week looked like day-by-day:
Monday: 6 mile run without HR monitor, 9:22 min/mile avg.
Tuesday: 1 hour strength training, 60 minute hike with 36 lb pack
Wednesday: Dam intervals.  (Ran 5 miles total), 6.5 mile bike ride with trailer
Thursday: 1 hour strength training, 6 mile tempo run (3 miles @ 8:30, 8:54 avg)
Friday:  Glorious rest day
Saturday: 14 mile run, 9:22 min/mile avg
Sunday:  3 hr hike at High Banks, ~44 lb pack, boots, 1 break, 1 stop to adjust pack
My post-hike indulgence.  I did decide to remove the wrapper first.
Bullets of things to improve from last year's Humble Pie Post
  • Lose 10 lbs.  1.2/10 done.
  • Train with a heavier pack (Up to 50 lbs).  I am building up to this.  However, my heaviest pack last time was 37 lbs.  This weekend I trained with 44 lbs.  It. Was. Tough.
  • Start pack training earlier. Done.  
  • Longer sessions without a break.  Work to 2 hours consistently.  Done.  This past weekend during my 3 hour hike, I took one break at the 1:45 mark.  I also stopped briefly at 45 minutes to re-work the weight in the pack so that it wasn't digging into my lower back.  In line with my goals, I took no nutrition or hydration at that 45 minute stop.
  • No Rest Step.  Done.
  • Interval training. Much better this week.  I will do one more week at these intervals before increasing it.
  • Asthma evaluation.  Done.  Upgraded my inhaler.  
  • Tougher, more specific strength training.  In process.  We had to lighten a bit on Tuesday because of my recovery from the vomit bug.
I am considering several places to hike that are a bit more of a drive for me than High Banks that have even more elevation changes.  I won't be able to go to these location really until June 30th.  But, they are on the menu to try out!

During my Wednesday intervals at the Dam, I met a lady there doing workouts with a pack.  Turns out - she was training for Rainier.  Her climb was over the weekend, I hope it went fantastic!

How was everyone else's week this past week???  Anyone race?  I know my friend Sarah completed a half iron man.  (How awesome is that???)  Anyone else?

6 comments:

  1. I knew you'd show those intervals who's boss :) - well done!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I raced my dog to the bed, does that count? I signed up for Run 4 the Health of It yesterday (it's $5.80). You should sign up too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you're inspiring! Great workouts and steady weight loss. Love the pic of your mini me working out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That Cadbury does look delicious! You're really on your way on those goals. And the pack may feel heavy but you're almost there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the shout out mandy!!!!! I am enjoying a glorious rest week! Nice training week for you too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW!!! Thats an amazing week!!!!
    And that chocolate looks amazing too!!!

    ReplyDelete

Comments pretty much make my day - so thank you for yours!