“At first an ordeal and then an accomplishment, the daily run becomes a staple, like bread, or wine, a fine marriage, or air. It is also a free pass to friendship.”
~ Benjamin Cheever, Strides

Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Training Tuesday - Kink in the armor

Week of June 3-June 9, 2013:
Current Weight: 153.6 (Down 0.4 lbs since last week)
Total Lost to date (since September 2011): 67.2 lbs

I had all these grand plans last week.

I was going to write a fabulous post on my fitness assessments.  I was waiting to reschedule another test for the write-up.  I will still write about this.  Hopefully in the next couple of days.
A sneak peek of me in the Bod Pod to make up for the delay.
I was going to write an exciting (to me) post about date night.  We got to out to see the musical Wicked, and dinner beforehand, on Friday night.  It's the first time we've been to a musical since I was 5 months pregnant.  That's over 2 years!
No idea of what the next 24-48 hours will bring.
Wicked was awesome, by the way.
And then I woke up around 4:30 am on Saturday morning with explosive diarrhea.  I know you're disappointed I didn't take pictures.  My immediate thoughts were, "I hope this doesn't interfere with my long run today."  As it got closer to my intended wake-up time, I brought a trash can back to bed with me.  It was a good thing because otherwise my husband might have been wearing throw up.  That would have been a disappointing conclusion to date night!!!  (And no, no pictures of this either).  I still considered going to my run because I felt so much better after the violent throwing up session.  Luckily, I texted Sarah to confess this fact, knowing the physiologist in her would call me out.  Worked as planned.  Good thing I stayed home, because I wound up throwing up violently four more times.  My abs hurt.  By the time I was throwing up stomach bile, I was positive it was food poisoning.
Avery brought me flowers from the garden to help.
It was short lived and I was feeling better Sunday morning.  On my trainer's advice, I modified Sunday's hike to a shorter and lighter weight hike.  We did this based on my low calorie and fluid intake on Saturday and concerns about dehydration.

Then disaster.  I got a text from my friend Deb, who babysat for date night, she was having similar problems Sunday morning.  On Monday, Mark and my friend Sarah got it.  Not food poisoning after all.

So far, Avery does not have it.  It would be awesome if she didn't get it, because I cannot think of anything worse than toddler serial vomiting and diarrhea.

Major changes from last weeks workoutsNeedless to say, my workouts suffered this week.  I took an extra rest day instead of a run day on Monday to accommodate the VO2 testing scheduled on Tuesday.  The fitness testing took long enough that I missed my strength training session on Tuesday, and wound up running instead of hiking.  To compensate, I combined intervals and strength training on Wednesday.  Friday was my normal rest day, Saturday was vomit day, and Sunday was a limited hike.  Not at all what was on the training schedule.  I did not add the extra strength training session nor the short stair session.  I didn't even do what I had done the previous week.

I do feel good on the weight front though.  Even though it shows a slight down from last week, this is actually feels like a win because this week will be TTOM week, and usually I weigh in 2-3 lbs heavier this week.  Hopefully the increased calorie load recommended by my bod pod experience is paying off, and it's not just residual effects of the bug.

Here is what the week looked like day-by-day:
Monday: 5 mile recovery run.  Rest day pre-VO2 test
Tuesday: 1 hour strength training, Easy hike.  Fitness tests, 6 mile run, 9:46 avg
Wednesday: TM intervals 9% incline with strength training, one hour.
Thursday: 1 hour strength training, 6 mile run, 9:06 avg
Friday:  Rest day
Saturday: 14 mile run.  Vomit Day
Sunday:  1.5 hour hike, Kelty Pack-Avery (~30lbs).  No break.
The prefect training partner!  She keeps me focused on the flowers, rocks, trees, water,....
I'm leaving out the bullets from Rainier training since this week was so off-plan this week.  I'll bring it back next week.

Have you ever had a week derailed by things outside of your control?  (Ok, the fitness testing was my fault, but I didn't expect the rest).

How do you normally adjust workouts/schedules after a week like this?  I know what I intend, but I'll probably check with my trainer today to be safe.



4 comments:

  1. Wow, that sounds awful! Glad you're feeling better. Holding thumbs that Little Miss A stays healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude, I have been terribly detailed this week too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am surprised you were able to run after the fitness test but I think I said that before. Glad you are feeling better and hope everyone else gets better too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no! Vomit day sounds miserable! Glad you're feeling better!

    ReplyDelete

Comments pretty much make my day - so thank you for yours!