“At first an ordeal and then an accomplishment, the daily run becomes a staple, like bread, or wine, a fine marriage, or air. It is also a free pass to friendship.”
~ Benjamin Cheever, Strides

Thursday, May 31, 2012

I take it back!

Yesterday morning, I posted about several good things all happening at once.  Stupid, stupid, stupid.

I got slammed with first world problems yesterday.  It's my own fault, I jinxed myself.  I should have known better, after all, I wrote the post before dropping my car off to have the odometer repaired! It stopped working last week, and was showing that I had 694576 miles on my 2003 Saturn Vue.  Wow.  I'm good. (In reality, I only have around 76,000 miles).
All I hear is "Blah, blah, blah"
They had already looked at it once, ordered the part.  Estimate was $500.  They called me around 3 yesterday to let me know the new part wasn't working because another part was also broken.  They "gave me a deal" on the part, but the total is now around $1000.  At this point, pot committed, no choice.  

They called again around 5pm and said "the technician is working on getting your car put back together."  Does that sound not good to anyone else?  They asked if they could keep it over night - did I really have a choice?
Is she still yammering about the car?
I am one of those people that does REALLY bad with being out of control and/or being confined.  I was without a car all day yesterday, because Mark needed his for a dentist appointment.  When I called to tell him they were keeping my car, he told me "Mandy, turns out my dentist appointment is actually tomorrow."  Oh no.  He suggested that he could borrow someone else's car at work for the appointment or something, because he knows how I am, but that's just silly.

SO, I HAD re-scheduled my workouts to make yesterday a rest day and Thursday a tough day to make up for my confinement.  Now, however, I am trapped AGAIN.  I admit, I hit a bit of minor depression yesterday evening.  I know, first world problems.
Mommy needs a hug!
To add to it?  My trainer said last week he could switch to Tues/Thurs nights to accommodate my other training.  Yesterday, he texted me that he couldn't make the switch.  I was really frustrated.  I've been less consistent with my training since I moved to in-house training with him (instead of at a gym).  I'm ready to move on and just do my own workouts at the new gym at this point.  Problem?  We've already paid for May in advance.  We have NOT-met more often than we have met in May, so we're paid mostly through the climb trip now.  We'll probably have him work with Mark on Mondays, and both of us on Thursdays at least until the climb.  I'll do my own workout on Tuesday.

With all the changes, I sat down with my color coded schedule to try to come up with when else I would get some steps in.  And I panicked.  Relay Around Columbus is two weeks from this weekend.  So, I'll be moving into taper mode.  BUT, my climb is ONE MONTH from this weekend.  I'm worried about failure at this point because my Dam workout on Monday was TOUGH.  (Granted it was in the 90s, but still!).

Luckily, I had a 5 mile run with my friends at 5:30 this morning.  I cried/whined about my first world problems and freaked out about failing.  They listened to my drama and helped me run it out.  I have the best running buddies in the world.

One of my regular training buddies had a bunch of bad stuff happen yesterday too, so I gave credit for all that to my jinx post from yesterday as well, and promised her I would write a post taking it back before she drove to Indianapolis today.  HA!  

So, after all that blabber, I've kept my promise!

Did I jinx anyone else by talking about all things good yesterday???


  1. Every time I mention how my kid sleeps through the night or naps well, she makes a liar of me. I have to assume that she's reading the blog at this point. :)

  2. Oh no! SOrry to hear it's all hit the fan. Car repairs are a bottomless pit I swear. I hope you get your wheels back soon. In the meantime enjoy that cutie pie!

  3. I'm sorry that everything isn't going well!! I hope that tomorrow is a better day for you!

  4. Hmmm, I don't blame you, but my daughter did come down with a stomach bug last night and I was awake with her helping her throw up from 3 a.m. to 6 a.m., soon after which my son woke up hale and hearty and ready to party. I was with him until 8 a.m. when my husband took over. (The good part--I went back to bed until 11 a.m.--I'd much rather do the early shift. My husband had to clean up the daughter's ensuing diarrhea.)

    I prefer to blame general bad juju. All that good stuff in your other post is still good, right?

    1. I hope your daughter is feeling much better today!!!

  5. I am glad you wrote this to get things back right in my world too. Then again, I still don't have a f'n phone. Love Motorola. At least I got to Indy before it started to storm. There's the good side!

    By the way, did you mean you paid him for all of June? I was confused.

    1. We paid him for all of May. But, because so many session in May didn't happen, and we don't pay for sessions that don't happen....we're now paid through most of June.

  6. Oh, I'm sorry! I get all worked up about things like that, too. I hate when something silly (like car trouble) throws my whole week off! A run with friends is a great way to hash things out. Hope you have a better day!


Comments pretty much make my day - so thank you for yours!