“At first an ordeal and then an accomplishment, the daily run becomes a staple, like bread, or wine, a fine marriage, or air. It is also a free pass to friendship.”
~ Benjamin Cheever, Strides

Monday, January 30, 2012

Rainier Training: Knees

Quick Look Week of Jan 23 -Jan 29:
# of Workouts: 8 
# of miles ran/stairs: 18
Weight: 190.2 (Down 2.4 lbs from previous week)
Chest: 41.5" (Back down 1.5")
Hips: 49"  (No Change)

Monday: 2.16 mile run, 1 hour ST
Tuesday: 3.0 mile run
Wednesday: 30 min ST - Legs rest day
Thursday: 4.0 mile run, 1.0 mile Stair Climber, 1.0 mile walk
Friday: Rest day
Saturday: 7.0 mile run
Sunday:  Unscheduled rest day
I got on the stair climber this week!  (mostly because I'd promised in my blog that I would - Ha).  I did 1.0 miles on the stair climber.  I'd intended to do 1.5, but I was feeling a bit light-headed and decided to quit at 1.0.  For the record, one mile on the stair climber feels a lot harder than 4.0 miles running!!!  In other words, I have a lot to do before the mountain climb!
My new BFF.
My original secret goal was to be down to pre-pregnancy weight by the end of this month.  I didn't quit reach that goal.  It made me re-evaluate my time table for weight loss pre-climb and realize that my expectations were a little unrealistic.  I'm not on Biggest Loser and I'm not training 5 hours a day...and I don't require ice baths, yet.  LOL.  My new time table is a little frustrating, but more realistic.  It also doesn't give me as much EXTRA weeks pre-climb to allow for any time needed for plateaus.  It's a little daunting, to say the least.
I could do it no problem if Dolvett was yelling at me to work harder!
Ever since that rutted ice trail run on Sunday, my right knee has been a little tender for distances over 3 miles.  I was doing fine though until the last 0.5 mile of my 7 mile run on Saturday.  I hyper-extended my LEFT knee.  I finished 7.0 miles and then walked limped back to the cars.  I felt fine after that, but out of an abundance of caution, I took Sunday completely off.  

I have to admit, the potential of needing to take a few days off this week terrifies me.  Running is what is keeping me sane this month.  I got teary eyed just thinking about taking time off.  I even asked my mom's group to pray that my knees feel good quickly.  I know, I have issues.  I keep debating about whether or not I will cancel today's run.  Most likely, I will keep it, but force myself to go much slower than I've been going.  I will also tell my trainer no leg work tonight.  (or at least no leg work that requires too much knee involvement.) I will try to skip extra mileage on Tuesday and Thursday as well.  We shall see.  I hereby promise to listen to my knees and know my limits.

Lack of sleep last night probably doesn't help that stress level much.  I think real teething has begun.  Based on Avery's screams last night, I thought someone was in the nursery trying to murder her.  After trying almost everything, we gave her some baby tylenol, which seemed to help a lot.  She flinched when we put anything near her front gums.  Poor thing!  
She's completely figured out the solids thing now though.
My husband's birthday - I didn't do breakfast, because joining my group for the long run was more important.  I'm a horrible wife.  I did buy a recordable birthday card and recorded Avery laughing and squealing in it. It took me forever to get the recording because she was so fascinated by the talking card, "Record your message after the beep."  Up until the morning of Mark's birthday, the message was the sound of thumps as Avery touched the card trying to figure out the sounds it made.  LOL.  She also got a new hat this week...
Mommy, the house is not that cold.
How was your training this past week?  Anyone else try some new equipment?

Any other Biggest Loser fans?





6 comments:

  1. Once she's older than 6 months, infant Motrin will be your life saver for night time teething.

    I hope your knees feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry your knees have been tender. I know how it is to fear you will lose running as stress relief. Fingers crossed for you! I'm going to be dealing with my tricky back (actually going to the doc for it--I'm scared he's going to say it's serious, though I don't think it really is).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Better to rest the knees now than to spend months rehabbing them. Trust me. Sorry again about Saturday, but you did not want me sharing this with your infant. I love the last picture, Avery looks so annoyed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope your knee feels better soon! When my husband and I first started running I had really bad knee pain, now it's my foot that occasionally bothers me. Pain is no fun!

    Great job on the stair climber, I've never tried it before but I might sometime soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry about the knee pain... and I remember vividly how less sleep magnified every little stress! If you do have to rest it, spinning or swimming are great alternatives, if you like either of those. You can still get in a great workout! I like following BL too, although these season I've had a harder time getting into it, the characters aren't winning me over yet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I keep hoping the knee gets better! Definitely listen to Dr. Bright - what a good last name for him! I always am impressed by people who can do the stair climber - I crap out after like 2 seconds. You're awesome. I love the b-day card idea for M - that is awesome! I bet he loved it!

    ReplyDelete

Comments pretty much make my day - so thank you for yours!