“At first an ordeal and then an accomplishment, the daily run becomes a staple, like bread, or wine, a fine marriage, or air. It is also a free pass to friendship.”
~ Benjamin Cheever, Strides

Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Training Tuesday: And so it begins..again

Although the week immediately after Flying Pig was technically week 1 in RMI's Fit To Climb program for the dates of my Rainier climb, I rested that week...mostly.  Thus, I considered this past week my first week of true training for Rainier.  I would even go as far as to call it Rainier Light Training because I am not yet doing everything that will eventually be in my weekly schedule.  My intention is to ease into adding each new thing, one thing per week.  Then, slowly increase the intensity/weight/etc. as each week passes.


Week of May13-19, 2013:
Current Weight: 153.2 (Down 1.8 lbs since last reported weigh-in)
Total Lost to date (since September 2011): 67.6 lbs
Waist: 31"  
Hips: 41"


Here is what this week brought:
Monday:  Recovery Run, 5 miles. (Avg pace 10:23 min/mile)
Tuesday:  Strength Training (1 hour, moderate);  82 minute easy hike with ~35lb pack and my 5 lbs boots
Mommy - tell them that I walked a puggle!
Wednesday:  6 mile Run on the treadmill.  (avg pace 9:54 min/mile)
Thursday:  Strength training (1 hour, moderate); 4 mile tempo run (avg pace 8:33 min/mile)
Friday:  FULL REST DAY
Saturday:  Ran 13.1 miles (avg pace 10:06 min/mile)
Me and Lynne, about 8 miles in.
Sunday:  122 minute hike (30-35 lb pack, boots), High Banks
All smiles on the training hike!

The week before last week was primarily a rest week, so almost this entire week shows a change from last week.  HA.  However, the main change over pre-Pig weeks is a slight shift in the running days and the addition of a mid-week easy hike.

I am pretty satisfied with this past weeks training especially since Mark was out of town Monday through Thursday last week.  I also paid the remaining balance on my Rainier trip this week, and turned in my registration packet for the climb.  Looks like I'm pot committed now!

This coming week I'll be stepping up even more with the strength training while keeping almost everything else pretty constant.

I really intend to focus on fixing my diet over the next few weeks as well.  I need to work on my getting my sleep too, the tiny tyrant has her own ideas on THAT aspect.

What is everyone else training for now?  Any tips or tricks that work best for you when you are trying to buckle down for a hard training session?

It's hard to believe my next race on the schedule isn't until October!  When is your next race?

4 comments:

  1. Key words there... on the schedule! I bet something else pops up for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ARGH! There are sweaty people touching!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm the same way- no race scheduled until the fall! It feels so strange!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Sarah - you'll add something to the schedule!

    ReplyDelete

Comments pretty much make my day - so thank you for yours!