“At first an ordeal and then an accomplishment, the daily run becomes a staple, like bread, or wine, a fine marriage, or air. It is also a free pass to friendship.”
~ Benjamin Cheever, Strides

Monday, February 11, 2013

Climbing out of a funk - training update

By now, those of you who read my blog regularly, have figured out that sometimes I get in a funk and need to step away from all things internet.  This happened to me last week.  I've been in some kind of depressive funk in general for a couple of weeks, and last week, I just couldn't get motivated to write a blog post.

Instead of recapping all my workouts for the past two weeks.  Let's sum up:

  • I am consistently doing an hour of strength training with my trainer twice a week.  I don't log these on dailymile anymore because that's a lot of stuff to remember post-workout.  HA.  Strength training is going well though, and each time I find another reason to be very happy with this particular trainer.
  • I have been running most of my scheduled runs with only a couple exceptions (none of them last week),
  • I have completed TWO speed work sessions, and I think I may wholeheartedly puffy pink heart speed work.  That's right, I said it.  Speed work is fun.  Not during the actual speed part maybe, but I always remember it as being awesome.
  • I have been drinking more water and working on the less sweets, more protein thing.  Trainer is going to be working with me on diet soon too.  This is an area where I still need a lot of work.
  • Despite the above, I have gained weight both of the past two weeks.  Not a lot, but enough to put me on edge.  Maybe that explains the funk?
  • I have done a Rainier-targeted training session the past two Sundays!
 A week ago, I wore a 22.5 lbs pack and hiked High Banks metro park in the snow and ice with my mountain boots and my soft shell layer on.
Me and High banks and the snow last week!
The scenery was beautiful, but for this first trip out for a Rainier targeted workout, I was reminded how running cardio does not translate to climbing cardio.  At. All.  The boots were pretty tough on my feet by the end of the hike.
Just an example of what I had to look at!
Yesterday, I added 5 more lbs to my pack and went back to High Banks.  I didn't stop much at all, and overall felt better the entire time.  My calves were tight for the first mile or so (but that could have been the 12 mile run the day before).  My feet felt much more comfortable in the boots and this time I had no hot spots at the end of the hike.

Both times I hiked for 4.4 miles and about 1600 feet in elevation gain.  This coming Sunday, I intend to do this hike again, and may follow it with a trip to the Dam Steps to get a little extra elevation.

I leave for a ski trip to Colorado in a couple of weeks.  My plan is to spend a couple of days climbing the ski slopes, so I'm trying to do what I can ahead of time to make sure that doesn't kill me.  I do not have high hopes for loving that experience.  I'm also trying to plan out what runs I'll be able to get in over there, the primary issue being that I cannot drive a stick.

How is everyone else doing?  Any big news or races on the horizon?

Any local people want to join me in my hikes?  
I promise not to make you carry a pack.  Pace is about 18 minute/miles.

8 comments:

  1. Being in a funk seems to be going around. Yuck! So glad you got out for a hike! I miss hiking so much and can't wait until spring to hit the mountains again. I am too wimpy to do it in the snow:/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also have a funk problem. The smell of my nasty workout clothing is stinking up my loft. Exercise is gross. And you know I want to hike with you. Not the stairs though. I like my knees.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always get in a funk after a big race... I was actually going to write a post about it sometime this week! It's usually the week after, but for some reason it was delayed and hit me this past week. Maybe that explains some of yours? In any case, nice job on the workouts! I love speedwork, too... dread it sometimes, but the satisfaction afterward is incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree--speedwork is awesome, especially if you're not doing it alone (like I, sigh, have to do tomorrow) and especially afterwards.

    Good luck with the hiking! I actually *do* think your running fitness will help you with the climbing--probably already is and you can't tell.

    I've been in a bit of a funk, too, but at least I don't have to worry about blogging any more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've just been testing out this speed work thing here and there the last couple weeks..and I'm shocked, but I agree with you - it's actually kinda fun?!?! I mean, when we're finished, obviously. :D

    Winter blues and funks definitely happen to all of us. I hope your little break away from the internet was helpful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wholeheartedly puffy pink heart speed work too! :) Hills too - we must be nuts or something ;) ?

    Would have loved hiking with you if I was closer!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love when I'm done with speed work and the feeling of accomplishment it gives me. During it, nah, I'm usually swearing :) I've been in a funk off and on the past week...I'm ready for spring! I hope your funk is over!

    And I would love to join you for a hike sometime. Not that I have real hiking experience, but I'm willing to try!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Funny, you and I seem to go through the same things - I've been in a blogging funk lately too. Also can tell there's a weight gain so I've got to start behaving! I am loving speedwork too - I am really mad at myself for not pushing myself harder during marathon training with all I am accomplishing right now! I'd hike with you if it wasn't snowy........

    ReplyDelete

Comments pretty much make my day - so thank you for yours!